A place to celebrate the 10 year anniversary of my MS diagnosis.

Saturday, August 15, 2009

Adjusting to New Realities

I find with MS that my health and ability to do the activities we often take for granted just changes more often. My definition of "normal" moves a little more than most. I always find myself realizing (or acknowledging) that what I can and can't do has changed. Once I figure out that things have changed, however, I'm able to appropriately adjust.

I had a relapse last year where I got really tired, wasn't thinking straight and got run down. Eventually, with the help of family, I saw it and took steps to adjust. It was an interesting time as the gradual onset of symptoms made it difficult to see that my reality had changed.

I think I am getting faster at adjusting and I'm getting better at adapting to changes in balance, vision, energy or what have you. I can't help but improve with all this practice.

There's a lot to be said for having a talent at adjusting to a changing environment. Arguably, it's one of the essential factors for life and career success these days.

Having MS gives me a competitive advantage of sorts. The flexibility it builds is definitely helpful.

No comments:

Post a Comment