A place to celebrate the 10 year anniversary of my MS diagnosis.

Saturday, August 15, 2009

MS and the job

I'm in positions that require me to use my brain, not my body or my hands. I don't know that anything I say applies to someone who does physical labour. I think if I had a physical job, I'd be figuring out a transition to something that only requires that I have a brain.

I've always told my employers about my MS right away. When I was diagnosed, I went back and said "I've got MS. I don't know what course it will take, but I'll keep you informed. In a worst case scenario, you may need to make some accommodations. It never occurred to me to be anything but upfront about it. I add value, and they were going to want to keep me.

I've carried that confidence into each job since. I don't simply announce "I have MS," just like I wouldn't when I meet someone. Rather, if they opportunity arises, I definitely tell my employer. I'd rather have them aware (and responsive) than unaware. If they're unaware, they'll do the perfectly human thing and blame your tardiness, your slow response or your being different on some evil source, rather than your health.

I also don't mind if they know before they offer me a job. I'm not desperate for employment, I'm desperate for a meaningful, happy work environment. By law, I'm allowed to pull the "bait and switch" and not tell them about my illness beforehand, but I don't really want to work for them if they would make a different choice if they knew.

No comments:

Post a Comment