A place to celebrate the 10 year anniversary of my MS diagnosis.

Saturday, August 15, 2009

Fun with MS

Here's the manifesto: I believe having MS should be a positive, life-improving experience. It has been for me. To share this attitude and to spread this message, I will live this belief. I will also create MS celebrations with my family and friends.

I have better ideas than I have follow-through. I think some of my best ideas take a little too much in the way of sponsorship to take off as easily as I'd like.

Primarily, we create a theme and dress up for the bike tour. Our costumes have included - circa Adam West batman characters (The Caped Crusaders), cows (The Udder Team), 70's athletic apparel and disco outfits (The Boogie Knights), wounded soldiers (The Early Discharges) and a team that was rival to the Corner Gas theme (Team Wollerton).

Last year, we moved our team from Regina to Waskesieu. We still volunteered at Regina, though, and set up a "Pimp my Bike" station at our rest-stop. We put cards in the spokes, streamers on the handlebars... you get the idea.

This year, and soon to arrive on this site, we did a Superheroes theme in Regina. We built a life-sized superhero cartoon with the face cut out and took pictures. We're going to be emailing them to cyclists soon.

If you go to my first post on this blog, you'll see the idea behind The Year of the Nevin. A sponsor for the big raffle is still being sought.

I also had an idea for an MS/Regina Little Theatre fundraiser that I need to say out loud. I talked about it with the Regina Little Theatre board, and they were receptive, but I never found a sponsor for the actual fund raising.

Here it goes: A sponsor commits to paying $10 a head for people who come to an RLT show one night. The RLT charges their regular admission, perhaps with a donation to the MS Society. We advertise the show as "Pack the House for MS", especially targeting MS Society members. The result? Cheap goodwill advertising for a corporate sponsor, funds for the MS Society, a new audience and full house for the RLT and a fun night out for the audience. Perhaps I'm missing something, but I don't think I am. If you want to sponsor this, let me know. I'll do all the leg work, you stroke a cheque for $4,000 (max occupancy at the RLT is 400).

No comments:

Post a Comment