A place to celebrate the 10 year anniversary of my MS diagnosis.

Saturday, August 15, 2009

Pre and Post MS Accomplishments



Some things I'm proud of accomplishing before being diagnosed with MS:


  • Falling in love with my future wife.
  • Graduating university with a commerce degree
  • Being promoted to management
  • Replacing the engine in a 1977 Mustang. I've included a picture of that one.











Some things I'm proud of accomplishing after getting diagnosed with MS:
  • Getting married
  • Having two beautiful children (my wife gets more credit for that, of course)
  • Buying a house
  • Running two marathons, one with a decent time, the other not so much
  • Completing three sprint distance triathlons and one olympic distance
  • Running multiple shorter-distance runs
  • Choosing a job for fit rather than security
  • Coaching friends on my approach to MS and lecturing on work-life balance
  • Participating in the MS Bike Tour nine consecutive years
  • Biking from Jasper to Lake Louise through two mountain ranges
  • Getting a ChangeThis manifesto published
I've now spent more of my adult life with MS than without. I guess that explains some of the imbalance in the lists. My point, however, is that I can still do lots of cool stuff, even with a little extra baggage.

Now, here's a partial wish list. I think I can still do all of them, even if I get a little slower or less mobile.
  • Take my kids to Disney
  • Learn to play piano
  • Take my wife to Mexico
  • Make an unselfish mark on this earth
  • Build a deck in our backyard
  • Do a 200km plus canoe trip north of La Ronge
If it isn't obvious, I like lists.


2 comments:

  1. Do I ever feel stupid - I don't keep up with the comments on my own blog. A year late, I can tell you no, I sold the car when I went to university. I look at that picture and cannot believe I sold it for a pitiful $2,000.

    I love reading your blog. I`ll make sure to introduce myself if I ever see you in the hallowed halls of government.

    ReplyDelete